Saturday, August 29, 2015

The Eagle Has Landed!

This post is over my travels and first couple days in Edinburgh

As I sit here at the airport along with come of my fellow YAGM UKer's. I reflect on the past week at orientation in Chicago. In just one week I met new people who pushed and challenged me. The people, whom asked me these questions that made me look deep into myself, come from a wide variety of backgrounds and cultures all of which are beautiful and unique in there own way. Some of the people I met I could relate to very easy and others I couldn't. Some of the people I met shared interests and hobbies and others liked totally different things. Some of the people were more stoic and reserved like myself others were more energetic and talkative. But one thing we all had in common was the fact that we were about to start writing a new chapter in our lives. For some of us that chapter will be the chapter of our lives that totally could change us. It could be the chapter were we see our selves slowly start to change and mold that could transition into later chapters. The possibilities for what can happen in this chapters of our lives is endless! And that is both exciting and terrifying. And it was one thing in common that made us come together as a family. We shared stories about ourselves (I personally told things that I usually don't tell people whom I just met). We were there to comfort each other when we shared things about ourselves that brought us pain. And we were there to laugh with each other when we shared the funny times in our lives. After a week of these very special times, I found myself having to say some hard Goodbye's to some very special people. A couple of months ago I was interested in this concept of Goodbyes so I wrote down some words about what goodbyes mean to me.

"Goodbye"
"Goodbye's" suck! there is no other way to say, no reason to sugarcoat it. 
"Goodbye's" usually involve tears and stuffy noses and are very difficult to say.
But when saying "Goodbye's" that are difficult and hard that makes it that much more special. When we say "Goodbye" we mutually agree without saying a word to each other. To forget about the bad memories and to cherish the good memories. We decide to not let bad arguments or fights get in the way of how much we can care for each other. When we say "Goodbye" we are allowing the person either be with God or letting them share their gifts with the world. And to share their love with strangers who might really need it. Even though I'm scared to death of the day when I say "Goodbye" to my parents for the last time. I know that it will be my responsibility to to celebrate their life by how I live and instill the values they raised me on in everyday life. When we really look at "Goodbye's" they are actually one of the most selfless acts we can do.

I've been in Edinburgh for a  couple of days now and they only thing I can say that place is beautiful. Every time I leave my flat I'm left in awe and feel like I am in a dream. Today I had the opportunity to accompany some of the staff members from Bethany house (which is were I'll be working) and some of the residents from the house on a BBQ to a local beach. I was humbled by how I was welcomed from the staff and the residents. They asked me questions about where I was from and we joked about how the BBQ's where a whole lot bigger in Texas. Then the rest of the afternoon was spent relaxing by the beach and playing a game of rounders ball (I'm not 100% sure that's how you say it) On the way back I couldn't help but feel a total sense of peace. As I look back again I can see just why community is so important. Today I broke bread with people who came from totally different backgrounds then I do. And yet we came together and we were all able to forget about our worries and frustrations and enjoy one an others company. I have a feeling that will be a common theme for me this year. breaking bread with people and sharing life together as we go through this thing we call life. I know this year will bring many challenges and frustrations but after today I feel just a little bit more comfortable facing whatever comes my way.

One psaml that I know that I will read a lot this year is Psalm 121
"I will lift up my eyes to the hills. From whence my help comes from? 
My help comes from the Lord! Who made the heaven and earth.
He will not allow your foot to be moved. He who keeps you will not slumber.
Behold, He who keeps Israel Shall neither slumber not sleep.
  The Lord is your keeper: The Lord is the shade at your right hand.
The sun shall not strike you by day, nor the moon by night.
The Lord shall preserver you from all evil; He shall preserve your soul.
The Lord shall preserver you going out and your coming in. From this time forth, and forever more." Psalm 121

Whenever you need help look up and find peace. I know that's easier said than done haha. 

P.S. Sorry I don't have any photos yet. I will have some soon!!


No comments:

Post a Comment